[Vision2020] Compassion for All Life

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Jan 29 21:07:56 PST 2007

Tony writes:

"There is no question that unborn people are by our English dictionary definition, human beings."

Wrong!  There are several different dictionary definitions of "human being."  Not all of them can be reasonably construed to include fetuses.

I am sorry do not understand this part of the issue, but is a matter of choice of language use, not a matter of fact, of when in the development of a one-celled zygote into a baby born fully formed the word "person" or "human being" is applicable.  In a neutral case, the same question: when does an acorn become an oak?

By arguing that your definition of "human being" or "person" is the only "correct" one, you not only show your misunderstanding of the nature of these kind of disputes, but ignore the real issues to which at least some factual material may be applied.  There is no doubt that in most cases most zygotes will develop into babies under the right conditions.  The same can be said of a spermatozoa or an ovum under the right conditions.  By simplifying a very complex issue by childlike insistence on your own definitions you make progress toward a time when fewer and fewer abortions will be needed, desired, or occur far more difficult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persuasive_definition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

It has been through the practical efforts of people researching, developing, promoting, and educating about birth control that the rate of abortions has decreased, not through the turn-off efforts of the "Fred Phelps" type of pro-life screechers.  Unfortunately your ego will not let you see any of this, and hence you are unable to carry on a civil dialogue with those with whom you disagree and who would also like to see the number of abortions performed decreased, and thus are promoting more abortions by your distracting raillery.  If you really wish to reduce the rate of abortions instead of acting like an angry, petulant god to please your own ego, you will have more success if you work with those of us who are pro-choice in finding practical, realistic ways to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies and finding ways to change the conditions under which pregnancies might be considered unwanted by the women who, in fact, find themselves pregnant.

You also show your lack of understanding of ethical/value issues by saying:

"...such moral relativism, as condemned brilliantly by Allan Bloom some years ago..."

Lots of people have condemned moral relativism.  Condemning it is not the same as showing once and for all that it is in error.  The problem of those condemning moral relativism is problematic because:

All of those who condemn moral relativism wish to impose a system of absolute morality.  Unfortunately, there are many different "absolute" systems all of which are inconsistent with each other with no tested, accepted rational means to decide which, if any of them, is the "true" system.  That is the reason for democratic type of governments -- so that we can continually discuss issues, especially the factual components, test the "truth" of solutions, and attempt to make progress toward an ethic acceptable to the majority of those in a particular democracy.  It is not a foolproof endeavor.

Value/ethical questions have been debated since the earliest times of humankind.  Although the much progress has been made toward understanding the nature of the issues, especially in the last 150 years with the advent of analytical methods and an increased understanding of the nature of language, no demonstrably true ethical system has yet to be agreed upon, unlike such things like gravity, electricity, mitosis, operant conditioning, etc.

Even among those who allege themselves to Christians and who based their belief on the Bible, there is little agreement upon some very primary issues: the death penalty, same-sex relations, abortion, making war, etc.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio than are dreamed of in all of your philosophy." -- Shakespeare

W.