[Vision2020] Compassion for All Life

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sun Jan 28 12:11:54 PST 2007

Greetings:

I always find it amusing (but sad) that conservatives are now asking
the rest of us to join in the "collective  censure of an evolving
society" with regard to discrimination against women and people of
color.  These same people were the ones who condemned Martin Luther
King as a lawless Commie and made fun of feminists (and still do).

When I began my section on "Women and Ethics," I always asked my
students if they agreed with "the theory that women should have
political, economic, and social rights equal to those of
men."  Everyone in the class raised his or her hand.  I then told
them that this was the definition of feminism in Webster's New World
Dictionary.  I was happy to have a class full of feminists, some of
them reluctant and some of them resentful that I'd tricked them, but
there was not a Femo-Nazi or bra burner in sight.

I would rather join the consensus of the world community that death
penalty is barbaric and that a woman has a right to choose what she
does with her own body.  This right is even more secure with the
knowledge that the early fetus is not a person according the science
of fetal development and according to our religious, moral, and legal
traditions.

The reason why we don't read anything about fetal rights in the
writings of our founding thinkers is that it was not on their moral
radar screen.  If they did not recognize the rights of women or
slaves, and refused to see their hypocrisy, then I'm sure that their
concern for unborn human beings was as absent as it was among even
the most devout Protestants.

Our founding thinker's support for the inalienable right of all moral
and legal persons is now being fulfilled, and there is a growing
consensus that those rights should also extend to gays, lesbians,
bisexuals, and the transgendered.  Until we meet the first ETs, this
is, as far as I can see, the last frontier of a truly universal moral
consensus on protecting the rights of all persons.

Finally, this call for joining a common moral consensus is especially
ironic when one of these conservatives chooses to flirt shamelessly
with his women critics, insists on typing people according to their
headgear, and calls a person who supports a woman's right to choose a Nazi.

Yours for the growing moral consensus,

>Nick Gier

>I thanks Jennifer McFarlane for the following gem:

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to
human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson