[Vision2020] Residents Squabble Over the Future of This QuaintRural Community

mark seman fcs at moscow.com
Sun Jan 28 11:02:51 PST 2007

Smart growth is not "no growth."  Smart growth is more like, "no growth, as
it has been."  The free-market economy does mostly nothing to assist with
Community Development.  Its focus is on ROI, not social & environmental
responsibility.  Citizens are aware of this and are looking for
alternatives.  There are processes that can provide a sufficient ROI as well
as provide social & environmental responsibile growth and develop Community.
Desire just needs to be applied to implement them.

"If we want to be a bedroom community for Pullman, Lewiston and Potlatch,"
warns Steve Busch, chairman of the growth-oriented Greater Moscow Alliance,
"then we can write regulations to secure that."  Current (& past)
regulations define the type of growth that will happen.  The public backlash
is also defined by these very same regulations.  A level of adjustment is
required to re-define land use regulations that allow Developer and
Community to be working towards a common goal of Community Development.

Community Development is not a narrow view of physically building homes and
businsesses.  It is the physical and psychological constructs that assist
citizens to live and work together.  The significant commonality is Common
Goal.  It is not one-sided, but communal, and a level of Community
commitment must be tangible for each party.  This has not been the case for
decades and adjustment will come.  The sooner this adjustment (mutual
understanding and resolution) occurs, the quicker Community Development can
occur to benefit the whole Community.

If the free market is harming a Community, then why allow it to occur?
Self-destruction is generally not a desired trait.  Self-preservation is
common.  Self-improvement is a noble goal.  The whole Community should be
striving for self-improvement - and the process is not a one-sided approach.
The opportunity is so obvious, it's a wonder that those with the financial
ability are so resistant to it and the opposite pole is also too entrenched
to even suggest it.  It's on the fringe of the free-market, not totally
separate from it.

Mark

mark r. seman, architect
       v=928.925.7617