[Vision2020] MSD is at it again!

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 19:33:16 PST 2007

Jerry Weitz wrote: "Give the non college bound a skill."

  Then when you are done giving them a skill, give the college kids a skill too so they can afford to pay for their college loans that have 7.5 percent interest.  I don't make $200 a month more than non-college students, which is equal to my college loan payments. Think about it.

  Donovan

  Public Schools for the most part serve a wider audience and have been given the responibilty/directive to deal with our present family/parenting realities. With both parents working, declining incomes in adjusted dollars, uncertain employment future due manufacturing being exported, etc.  I am supporting this levy with these suggestions/imperatives

Increase the number of instructional days to a minimum of 190 days.  Recall Canada is at 200 days (with less cost per student than the US and the MSD in adjusted dollars.) Other advanced economies are at 211 days (with less cost per student that US and MSD).
Do not increase the number of hours per day. This has the potential of giving teachers more time for preparation and the kids more time to sleep,recreate, practice the piano, etc.

Give the non college bound a skill.  Pullman outperforms the MSD in academic acheivement; with 5-7 times the amount
of skills (learning by doing.), higher postsecondary enrollment, higher graduation rates, much higher use of their
 university, more AP,and a lower cost per student.  Look to Pullman.  The non college bound have a much better education in Pullman.  Let's do something about this.  The MSD with $2 million extra plus the state now kicking in-places MSD's funding at a high level if the state follows through.   I don't have any reason to believe that they will not.  Luna so far has shown to be education's friend.  Education is bipartisan issue.  MSD is not the friend of the non college bound but could be.

Use the vast resources of the UI.  This has been offered by UI and rejected by the MSD.  All requires a change in attitude, something I found completely lacking when I was on the board.

Have a 5 year contract that all in the community understands. On one hand MSD wants a permanent levy increase that is supposed to last 5 years before the next, yet I am deeply concerned that giving a "bolus"of money upfront and a "starving" situation five years from now is unfair to all concerned.    MSD will exceed the amount of funding per student than the schools of Virginia.
 Thus funding is not the issue if the levy is given a positive.  Jerry