[Vision2020] 1912 Sidewalks/was Moscow Ice Rink

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Fri Jan 26 16:05:47 PST 2007

Sunil, the northern side walk of the 1912 does not exist.  There is
an  mud/dirt embankment dug out on the north which has trees in it.  If the
right conditions occur the trees may be uprooted.

The point: why hassle the 1912 or the ice rink at this stage. I think there
are more important issues such as the UI losing its flagship role to
BSU.  (The steep enrollment declines for UI are very
problematic).  Businesses such as James Toyota that are given no
alternative but to leave Moscow, due to lack of available/suitable
land.  Recall that James Toyota was issued a directive from Toyota that the
dealership must bring its facility up to Toyota's standards or lose the
franchise.  I personally alerted Chaney, the council, and city staff over a
year ago, with no action/interest being taken.

There are a number of experts/publications on  recruitment/retention of the
our young people who are the movers and shakers of the U.S. economy.  With
the challenges of recruitment and retention of students and
faculty/researchers at UI, would it be more reasonable to center the debate
on the UI's/Moscow's prospersity than on issuing eviction notices to the
Alt kids, causing extreme hardship for elementary kids in need of a gym at
St Mary's, hassling the ice rink, streamling rather than causing costly
delays to development and making sure Moscow is a welcoming community?

With development for example:  Mayor Chaney unbundled the development
process. The result for Good Sam was a 20% cost increase.  Presently, Good
Sam has no plans to expand in Moscow. Good Sam nationally has over 200
homes. A 20% overrun due to local encumberance hurts us all. Moscow now
lacks capacity for nursing home patients.  The two nursing homes I
contacted came here, looked at the facility, reviewed the happenings of
Moscow, had Latah Commissioners site visit,
and determined that the area is in need of nursing home capacity.  One
would need 20-40 acres and the other really does not desire to go up
against Gritman nor make waves.  One is examining Pullman.   Jerry