[Vision2020] Dear TRACS Officials:

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Fri Jan 26 09:37:10 PST 2007

Greetings:

Thank you for posting my evaluation of New St.
Andrews College.  The text did not come through
very well on my e-mail, so I will simply post the

You can also back off to my entire Doug Wilson
page at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/Wilson.htm.  And for
more good stuff on the topic you can visit Tom
Hansen's website at www.tomandrodna.com/notonthepalouse.

Nick Gier, Proud Intolerista
Intolerance is a virtue if one is intolerant of
biogtry, discrimination, dishonesty, deception, and bad manners.

:57 AM 1/26/2007, you wrote:

> [...]
>Fourth Southern Heritage Conference and has written four articles for the
>neo-Confederate journal Chronicles, whose editors have boasted that they
>are all members of the League of the South. The
>last article appeared together
>with an ad announcing a conference in which
>Lincoln would be condemned and the
>right of secession would be defended. Wilson
>also published an essay defendin! g
>the right of succession in his journal Credenda/Agenda. Finally, Wilson
>is contributing editor for The War Between the States: America's Uncivil War
>(Bluebonnet Press, 2005), John J. Dwyer, general editor. Historian Ed
>Sebesta claims that "this book seems to incorporate every 'Lost Cause' and
>modern Neo-Confederate idea."
>

>In an article in the Spokesman Review (Oct. 22,
>2006), Wilson confessed that he was a "Paleo-Confederate," just after
>

>NSA President Roy Atwood said that any connection b!
>  etween NSA and the neo-Confederates was "laughably stupid."
>

>The distinction Wilson tries to draw between
>neo- and paleo-confederate is one without a difference. Steve Wilkins,
>

>Founding Director of the neo-Confederate League
>of the South, has been keynote speaker at Wilson's Moscow
>

>conferences for 12 years in a row. Wilson also
>admitted that Robert E. Lee's portrait and the Confederate flag have
>

>been displayed in church and school functions,
>in spite of Logos principal Tom Garfield's claims to the contrary.
>

>As I understand it, the principle of
>academic collegiality is not just an in-house
>affair, but it should be practiced
>with all colleagues and all academic institutions. Especially disturbing is
>NSA’s decision to criticize the UI, upon which
>it is dependent for library and
>lab science resources. This attack is especially ironic considering the fact
>that so many NSA faculty have or are finishing UI degrees.
>Nine of the 15 faculty have or expecting UI degrees.
>

>I trust t! hat you will agree that NSA’s
>response to this controversy is a very
>disturbing trend for this young college, one
>that started with so much promise
>and support from the community. In the past I have spoken at NSA’s weekly
>colloquium, and I spent upwards of sixty hours with one NSA student and his
>senior thesis on Buddhism. I personally regret very much this loss of
>collegiality and mutual respect.
>

>If your policies require that I release this
>letter for wider validation, I will
>certainly consider that option. But for now please consider these remarks
>private and confidential.
>

>  Sincerely,
>

>  Nicholas F. Gier
>
>  Professor Emeritus
>
>  Department of Philosophy
>
>  University of Idaho
>

>Juanita Flores
>Advocate for the Truth from Jesus
>
>----------
><http://cinema.lycos.com/?if_Event=mail>Free
>Movies 100's of Free Feature Length Films - Meet Friends, Watch Movies & Win!

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the
application of it to human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates
in human beings who represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of
any system cannot be discovered by dividing it
into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed
on the whole and on the interconnection between
the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut
between science, religion, and art. The whole is
never equal simply to the sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm