[Vision2020] Why should everyone pay for MSD?

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Thu Jan 25 17:38:19 PST 2007

Wayne,

Thank you for your response. Based upon your answer, I may suprise you,
I agree.
I would be happy, albiet a bit retisent, to pony up to the bar. With
one qualifier. That we get the best bang for our buck.

My whole argument all along, has been that there is a lot of bloat at
MSD. I have suggested larger class size per teacher. - with the current
staff and student ratio of 13.5 I think we can do better. We need to
let a few teacher go and increase the work load for the rest. We need
to let a few Administration folks double up as teachers for those
classes that they used to teach. Maybe they would have less problems
with the teaching staff if they pitched in and worked along side of
their teachers. I don't buy the argument that this will sacrifice the
"quality of education".

Doing this would reduce the amount of money needed for expenses each
year.

I'm sure there are others out there with other suggestions but I would
start there. Your earlier suggestion of stronger parential involvement
also has merit and needs to be done. I know not all parents are as
eager to have their children learn as I am but the students really want
to learn. You see it in their eyes when they are challenged. But that
is the key, they need to be challenged. As Tony found out this is not
always the case.

lemeno, Doug!

-------
Art Deco deco at moscow.com

The alleged 52% property tax investment is an investment by all
families
(with or without children) in the health and welfare of the entire
community, not in just their own children's education in the case for
families with children -- just as is their tax investment in roads,
parks,
law enforcement, etc.

Arguments can be made, some of them valid, that we are not getting the
best
bang for our buck out of the present public school system.  When
dealing
with such issues, I try to help find solutions to problems, not toss
the
baby out with the bath water.  Some of us old codgers believe that we
have a
citizen's and a constitutional duty to try to improve public
institutions.
Sometimes it is very frustrating, but so are many aspects of life.

W.