[Vision2020] DoDEA to Discontinue Remote Hme School Program

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Wed Jan 24 14:50:42 PST 2007

The RHSP is used by service families to provide stability to their
children's education process.  For example, many of the families
assigned to Fort Wainwright or Eielson Air Force Base who move in and
out of the Fairbanks North Star Borough as a result of their change in
duty station choose to home school their children.

The reasons they choose RHSP over local schools are as varied as there
are numbers of families; however the program is popular and will be
sorely missed.  These kids are shuffled from duty station to duty
station and thus are exposed to various educational systems.

The immediate effect that the end of RHSP will have on my local district
is the sudden and unplanned for introduction of around 900 children to
the local public schools.  Try to plan and fund that sudden addition and
you can see that military towns around the nation are going to face one
heck of mess next fall.

This is just another blunder by the military and will make it even more
difficult to recruit and retain our nation's finest people.

Chris S.