[Vision2020] NY Times: Nicotine Manipulation Confirmed

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 13:38:53 PST 2007

Art Deco, et. al.

A few days ago outside the Moscow Safeway store I saw a group of young
people, who looked decidedly under age, standing around smoking tobacco.  I
had to restrain myself from approaching them to offer a little advice, if
not to take the cigarettes out of their hands and crush them under foot.  I
did give them a good look over, and their furtive eyes told me they knew
they were engaged in "suspicious activity."

Given how bold they were to stand in front of a supermarket in public and
engage in addictive drug use, this was a statement on how tobacco continues,
despite all the actions taken to reduce or marginalize tobacco use by youth,
to be shrouded in a legal, cultural and law enforcement environment of
implicit acceptance.

I commented on what I just witnessed to another shopper entering the
store... His response was "They'll pay for it later."

Indeed!

I recall when the effort during the Clinton Presidency to regulate tobacco
as a drug by the FDA went to the US Supreme Court.  This would have given
the FDA authority to regulate nicotine content, the subject of Art Deco's
informational post.   I recall hearing an interview with former FDA head
David Kessler on this effort.  The tobacco industry fought this regulatory
action by the FDA, and won.  The US Supreme Court at that time ruled that
this regulation was the province of the US Congress.  As Art Deco's post
reveals, big tobacco appears to continue to be deliberately attempting to
increase the addictive properties of their death dealing drug tobacco
(nicotine), outside government controls.

Info on the FDA David Kessler led attempts to establish FDA regulation of
tobacco:

http://www.infact.org/fdarept.html

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/03/21/scotus.tobacco/index.html

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/august96/kessler_8-23.html

If there is any single issue that exposes the hypocrisy and absurdity of the
approach to drug use dominant in our legal and enforcement system, it is in
the approach to tobacco.  The big tobacco companies have been able to use
their power and influence to continue to avoid the most strenuous
governmental efforts to reduce tobacco addiction, which most often starts
before 20 years of age, the single largest cause of avoidable premature
death on the planet.

The continuing easy availability of tobacco to under age youth, with minimal
legal penalties for selling tobacco to this group, compared to the penalties
for other controlled substances, makes a mockery of the "War On Drugs."  The
potential impacts of tobacco addiction starting in youth can convincingly,
factually and scientifically, pose as great a threat to health and life,
indeed, more so compared so some other controlled substances, as other drugs
which inspire far more aggressive efforts at prohibition and legal
enforcement.

When I hear that someone who sold tobacco to an under age smoker was given a
multiple year penitentiary sentence, is when consistency between the dangers
of addictive drug use, on a scientific medical basis, and the legal and law
enforcement efforts to stop addictive drug use, are based on a rational and
consistent assessment of the dangers posed by addictive drugs.

Ted Moffett