[Vision2020] Do the Math

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 16:45:24 PST 2007

Dale did not say Tom visited his blog 31,000 times. Dale said his computer accessed 31,000 files in the last year. There is a difference. Each time you visit a site, one to ten files can open up at the same time. A photo for example can count as one file. It is easy to determine the number of visits by looking at the time of the access. If you have have 2 files accessed at the same time, that would be one visit.

  Someone on that computer visits the Dale's Blog several times most days of the week, as many as twenty or thirty times in a seven hour period between 7:30 am and 2:30 pm.

  How can access that many files? Let's do that math;

  20 visits a day, 5 times a week equals 100 visits a week. If each visit opened 7 files (including photos and graphs) that would be 700 files opened in one week, over 46 weeks of work in the year, that would equals 32,200 accesses.

  This pretty much is the habit of logging in to Dale's blog from that IP address if you look at the log of the file as I have.

  If a person were to spend their entire six hour shift monitoring a Blog, they could hit a site 20 times in a day.

  What is the point of this? The point is that someone on the taxpayer's dime is monitoring a non related site, and is doing so against UI policy. May I remind people also, that this is just one website being accessed by that computer. Is it possible this same computer is going to other sites as well during the day on the taxpayer's dime?

  I as a taxpayer, don't want to be paying someone to monitor Dale's Blog. What a waste of UI resources.

  Donovan

Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:
  Dale "Comb-Over" Courtney writes from his BLog -

What I disagree with is that he [me, Tom Hansen] feels compelled to use the
University of Idaho computer resources to do so - at taxpayer expense. And,
yes, I think that his work computer having accessed 31,578 files on my
server during 2006 is over-the-top, excessive, and a waste of taxpayer
money. But I'll leave it to my readers to decide whether that's a reasonable
use of your taxpayer money.

Do the math, Visionaires. I work a 28-hour week. If I do not take any
holidays off or take any time off at all, that equates to 1,428 ours per
year.

31,578 "visits" during that year equates to 22 "visits" per hour.

Jeesh, Courtney.

As far as your "readership" is concerned, if they feel that a complaint is
warranted, I strongly encourage them to do so. I am certain that you have
the appropriate addresses.

Enough said!

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com