[Vision2020] Doug Wilson Interview

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 13:42:48 PST 2007

Chas wrote:

"Southern Baptists almost universally exclude women as pastors, as do Roman
Catholics, and Mormons.  No one spends much time criticizing St. Mary's."

A very good point.  I have made the exact same argument when discussing
anti-Christ Church activism with several of the most vehement activists, and
this point has been made numerous times on Vision2020.  However, as has also
been outlined over and over on Vision2020, the evidence that Christ Church
and their associated institutions aim to expand influence in the community
in a manner that St. Mary's is not, is there...They have a political agenda
that St. Mary's does not, despite assertions to the contrary.  This point
can be debated, also... But St. Mary's has not attempted to establish a
"university" in downtown Moscow, with evidence this was against zoning code
and with a "wink" from certain players in government.  Nor has St. Mary's
expanded into the downtown with a national publishing business, such as
Canon press in the St. Anselm building.

New Saint Andrews excludes those of other faiths from taking advantage of
their educational offerings.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Name another
institution in downtown Moscow that excludes offering their services to
those of other faiths?  St. Mary's, as far as I know, does not ban children
of parents of other faiths from attending, though there is religious content
presented that might bother the parents of other faiths.  My sister attended
St. Mary's school for the quality of the education, while my family was not
at that time what you would call "devote" Catholics.  Gonzaga in Spokane is
a highly regarded Catholic university, and those of all faiths are welcome
to enroll, and many faiths are represented there

I won't discuss in detail the book, co-authored by Doug Wilson, "Southern
Slavery, As It Was," given how much the implications of this book have
already been presented.  But I don't think St. Mary's has a priest
overseeing the flock that has presented views such as this about slavery,
views that many find disturbing, holding events (Trinity Festival) in Moscow
that bring to the community thinkers and writers that are regarded as
"racist."  Of course Wilson will say this has been misunderstood and blown
out of proportion.  But when I listened to the Black speaker from the NAACP,
who spoke at St. Augustine's center on the U of I campus during the protests
of the Trinity Festival, regarding "Southern Slavery, As It Was," as he
quoted liberally from that book, in a fire and brimstone sermon styled
denunciation, there is reason for concern.  Readers comments at the bottom
of this web page are interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Slavery-Was-Douglas-Wilson/dp/188576717X

Chas also wrote:

"If I believed that trading barbs with the Kirkers would suddenly make
them all switch to my modern point of you, then I would join Tom, and
J Ford, and others, tomorrow.  However, it serves only to divide, with
no healing in sight."

Trading barbs is not the issue.  I agree this is silly.  I once on
Vision2020 received "kudos" from Douglas Wilson, back when Wilson
participated on Vison2020 (I am not joking.  This is in the Vision2020
archives, though I do not have the time now to find it), for offering my
explication of his religious views on the relations between the sexes on
Vision2020.  I attempted a sympathetic understanding, after I read some
local press that seemed to misrepresent his thinking, and apparently Wilson
thought I had achieved this, with some reservations.

We all know Christ Church as a right to exist and believe what they want, to
freely practice their religion.  And everyone who disagrees with their views
on keeping women out of leadership roles (the Catholic church should allow
women priests, and allow priests to marry), Gay's as grave sinners, and
their political ideology, which they sometimes claim is not political (what
ideological sleight of hand!), also has a right to speak out against them.
I do not regard reasoned opposition to, or legal action against (the tax
exemption and zoning law issues), a religious group trying to expand
influence in a community as "trading barbs," when their views and economic
power can shape the nature of a community.

Is Chas saying that activism to oppose Christ Church should be stopped?

I support Tom Hansen's web site, "Not On The Palouse."

http://www.tomandrodna.com/notonthepalouse/

Chas, do you support Hansen's web site?

Ted Moffett