[Vision2020] FW: Moscow Ice Rink

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Fri Jan 19 11:38:25 PST 2007

What is really needed is a green light from the County Commissioners to
build a permanent ice rink facility.  From the very beginning, the
current structure was designed to be replaced with a fully enclosed NHL
size ice rink; yet PIRA/Rotary has not been given permission to move
forward by the BOCC.

If the county had wasted taxpayer's funds paving a parking lot (only
because Moscow City Code forces them too) and then rip out the lot a
year or two later; imagine the howls from indignant tax payers; I know I
would have yelled as well.  Wasting precious tax dollars on a frivolous
parking lot, one that will also alter the location of activities during
the fair, is an unfair burden on the county.   I believe the City of
Moscow should allow for some flexibility when dealing with the county.
The same taxpayers are after all paying for both governments, one would
hope that the governments work together to maximize resources and reduce
waste.  I know City codes are rigid, maybe they should be amended in
order to allow for special cases such as this.   Paving that parking lot
at this time in the name crossing the t's and dotting the i's of city
code is a waste of money that should not be tolerated by citizens of
either the city or the county.

Chris S.