[Vision2020] [Vision 2020] Wolves

Brent Bradberry brentbradberry at clearwire.net
Thu Jan 18 08:58:12 PST 2007

Regarding coyote-dog hybrids, Kai mentioned his experience. My friend
the late Mel Hirschi had a similar experience a few years ago. He
attempted to develop a coyote-german shepherd hybrid which could be
taught(?) to herd sheep and not eat them. I think the reasoning was that
sheep guarded by such a dog would be less vulnerable to coyote
predation. The experiment was unsuccessful - the hybrids were not
receptive to instruction.

Also, as to wolves, I think that delisting and proper management is
probably best for all concerned. Wolves are intelligent, and limited
hunting of them (outside of adequately large areas) would soon teach
them that humans are to be avoided. The Devil is in the details, though
- there must be enough contiguous areas where they are not hunted, and
the number of tags should be determined by sound science.

Brent Bradberry
A hunter (but not of wolves)