[Vision2020] Information on wolves in Idaho

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Wed Jan 17 15:11:35 PST 2007

I would be glad to comment on wolves:
The first wolf I saw in Latah County was just south of Skyline Drive in
1986 (my brother and I saw the wolf while hiking in the woods, we had a
great view of the animal as he sniffed his down a nearby trail).  When
my wife and I moved to Davis Rd. (which is off of Flannigan Creek Rd, on
the north side of Moscow Mountain) we heard our first wolf howls that
summer (1998) and saw our first wolf up on the hill near 4-Corners the
following summer.

As for the State of Alaska's official view on wolves follow this link:
http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index.cfm?adfg=wolf.main

Wolves in Moose in the Mat-Su:
http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlife_news.view_art
icle&articles_id=266

We have seen several wolves while living up here, the animals tend to
use the same frozen river corridors as we do; I have yet to see a wolf
in the summer up here outside of Denali National Park.  Last summer we
had the thrill of watching a wolf attack and kill a rather sick looking
caribou just outside of the Savage Creek campground in Denali, if I only
had a video camera!

As for human hunters, most statistics show that their success rate is
below 50% - a major reason why it is so darn difficult to use hunting
for game control.

As for pets dying, coyotes, crazy drivers, sick teenagers, and other
people's pets are probably far more responsible than a wolf.

I say just leave 'em be...

Chris