[Vision2020] Argicultural, Energy Sustainability (Was Moscow's Growth Policies...)

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 17 10:19:27 PST 2007

Kai, et al.
You will find that I try to speak straight, and from the heart.
My sense of entitlement was driven out long ago. I have oil on my hands and
I have spilt much of it in my lifetime. Having tons and tons of iron the
reduction diet I’m on will take considerable effort to get out from under.
This issue about carbon is nothing to repress .We need to raise our
awareness, we are killing the planet. The truth is all around us. We all
need to address this.
There are ways to use resources in a balanced way. Sustainability is about
regenerative processes and being honest about costs. Just because a farm has
sustained some kind of operation for any given period of time shows us very
little about what is being leached away or building up or what subsidies it
requires to run. I totally understand the inertia that the farmer is
balancing… Its amazing. They also can’t change practices overnight.  I
respect them very much but mass ditch to ditch monoculture cropping becomes
a way of thinking just to keep the operation moving along. I’m sorry if my
words describing  that insulted you. I literally had one guy tell me once
“If it doesn’t grow wheat, I don’t have time for it.”  It seems developers
often operate with the same mind set. I do honestly think one can observe
that kid of thinking when they go about developments on the periphery of
communities.  I see that as being single minded or monoculturalistic.
Perhaps that’s an inaccurate bias on my part, but will continue to hold that
card for now.

Kai,
The others on this list did not get to see the response you sent me. With
the kindest of intentions,please read care-fully.
I suspect I was maybe too accurate about your attitude. To the degree that I
have caused pain, truly I am sorry. To the degree that I was accurate.  I’ll
let others judge.
We put our own colors on others writing and see the words through those
filters.
If there is such a thing as sin, it is in the action of separating oneself
from the other. At least that is the construct that I try to keep mind of.
Just a few years ago, I was bumping elbows with some folks in Lapwai. We
were writing up a mission statement for the cause we were considering. It
made some romantic comment about how we were going to work in the same
spirit as our ancestors had done together. I said, no way, my ancestors tore
the holy living hell out of this place. And that’s the truth, nothing to be
proud or romantic about .
  Truth is treasure as far as this person is concerned. I completely invite
you to bring forward the heritage that you described to me in your anger on
the side. If you look back into it, you have all the information to know
that I might be far more accurate in my writing, than not.

  Lets all move to increased carbon sequestration ,  and step on it. You
drive, Ted…
Dave