[Vision2020] Information on wolves in Idaho

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Wed Jan 17 08:03:15 PST 2007

J Ford asks:

"Has there EVER been a report of a wolf on the Palouse in the past 10
years?"

Guess that depends on your definition of "The Palouse"

A coworker saw a small pack on the Marble up above Clarkia (probably not
technically "the Palouse", but those wolves could range on into the
Palouse Divide).

They've also been seen up 'round Elk River, a tad north of what I'd call
"the Palouse" as well, but again easy access to the Palouse range.

I've also heard second- or third-hand that some sightings have been made
along the rim south of Genesee.  Again, maybe not quite "the Palouse",
and I take second- and third-hand information with a grain of salt.
I've also seen some fairly large tracks out in the toolies that are for
sure not coyote, and quite a ways away from where I'd expect to see
large dogs.

I'm all for the wolves staying a "protected" species (a la grizzly
bears), but as often as I hear of sightings I wouldn't term them
"endangered" anymore.

DC