[Vision2020] Information on wolves in Idaho

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Jan 17 07:35:26 PST 2007

Pat writes:

"We have many locals at the base of Moscow Mt who have seen wolves and had problems with loss of pets etc. It is local!"

I live on Moscow Mountain and interact with many who live here also and who spend time in woods on a frequent basis.  I have not heard of one confirmed case of anyone losing a pet to a wolf.  Owls, hawks, and eagles have taken a number of cats and small dogs.  In two cases a cougar got a dog that was running loose.  Coyotes have also preyed upon pets mostly by a pack luring loose dogs away from their homes, then attacking them, or a single coyote occasionally snatching a small dog or cat.  Bobcats have also taken some small dogs and cats.  In one case a deer with a fawn kicked a dog to death that was menacing the fawn.  Dogs that menace moose are also in for an unpleasant, if not fatal surprise.

There is little doubt that parts of Moscow Mountain fall within the very large ranges of a few wolves.  Hence, there have been occasional sightings of wolves or wolf signs.  So far as I know there is no eyewitness or reliable evidence of wolves preying upon pets on Moscow Mountain.

Perhaps Pat you can supply some reliable witnesses to back up your claim.  Do not however offer Jim Hagadorn who sees wolves in every shadow and blames all most wildlife trouble on them, not unlike the 1960s right-wingers who blamed all our country's problems on communist infiltration.  Except within a small band of rabid hunters, Hagadorn has no credibility on this issue.

I am copying Jennifer McFarland with the hope that she forward this post to the local Fish and Game Officer who might be able to offer more information on your claim.  Mark Solomon who lives on the opposite end of the mountain from  ourselves may also have some pertinent information he might share.

By spreading gross, prejudicial misinformation, the ability to deal rationally with the wolf issue is severely crippled.

W.