[Vision2020] Foreigners in Math, Science, and Engineering

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 00:14:40 PST 2007

Why do we need to compete Nick? Look around the world, I think Americans are doing just fine comparatively. If we are so stupid, how come they are all working for us? Who cares about PhDs and Master's degrees, it is just paper. Creativity, originality, and ingenuity are and have always been the backbone of American wealth and culture, and the US has that in spades over any other nation.

  America's newest invention, the Iphone; how many Chinese, Russians, and Indians are going to be depending on those inside of two years, like the Internet, computer, and airplane, also all US inventions?

  Best,

  Donovan
  Stupid, lazy, illiterate American

Nick Gier <ngier at uidaho.edu> wrote:
  Greetings:

It is a song of praise that I note that Chinese, Indians, and Russians, mainly because of their solid credentials, are taking positions in our universities that could be occupied by Americans, if they received enough math and science in our schools and if they worked hard enough to earn PhDs in these fields.

Correctly for population, the Chinese graduate ten times more engineers than we do.  We cannot compete unless we transform our educational systems and our increasingly anti-intellectual culture.

Nick Gier
  "Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
 --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each part by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole and on the interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our intellectual life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between science, religion, and art. The whole is never equal simply to the sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com