[Vision2020] For Keely

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Jan 15 19:41:44 PST 2007

So much of our upbringing was similar, Kai, and I really appreciate your
story.  It brought a couple of hearty laughs and a few tears . . .

I remember paletas (frozen fruit treats), horchata (a rice beverage served
icy cold), helotes (ears of roasted corn) and saladitos -- dehydrated peach
pits soaked in salt brine.  You bought a couple for 25 cents and sucked on
'em all day . . . all the better, I suppose, to enjoy your paletas and
horchata.  I lived an hour from the border, but my dad owned the Green
Valley News near Nogales, so we went south a lot.  When I was very young, my
parents would go to Nogales, Sonora, to the bullfights; the next morning,
I'd wake up to panes dulces and a hideously grinning ceramic marioneta, a
bullfighter puppet almost as grotesque to a five-year-old as the bullfights
themselves.  (A note on that -- my liberal agitation evidently began young;
according to them, I harangued and whined about being mean to animals enough
that they eventually quit going, although it took another decade or so to
talk them out of the bullfighter-themed decor they foisted on us!).

I had a nana, an older woman who was like my grandmother, and a nena, my
confirmation sponsor in the Catholic Church (another true story -- I put the
meaning of confirmation in serious jeopardy by smacking Susan Mary
Wittkowski for choosing her name, "Veronica," while I got stuck with
"Angela."  But my patrona had the stigmata, so I won . . . )  I learned to
cumbia (a dance; I was enthusiastic but hopeless), I knew to boil mesquite
tea for menstrual cramps, and while other fiteen-year-old girls had
quinceaneras, I got to see "Jaws" with three other girlfriends.  I shook
Cesar Chavez' hand when I was 10 and listened, enraptured, at the Chicano
and Chicana students my father taught at the university when they came over.
  I didn't "get" the comedy of Cantinflas, but I still love norteno ranchero
music.

It was wonderful, and I'd about kill for a paleta de coco e pina -- a
pineapple-coconut frozen treat unlike any Popsicle you've ever tasted . . .

Thanks again, Kai -- maybe even, in addition to a firm handshake, a sincere
hug of thanks for the memories!

keely