[Vision2020] Why I didn't vote for Brady

Kai Eiselein, editor editor at lataheagle.com
Mon Jan 15 14:33:39 PST 2007

Sue, in journalism there are generally three walls that separate divisions.
news, editorial and advertising. I very very rarely deal with advertising
and I rarely deal with anything on the editorial page. I deal with news.
I leave advertising to our ad manager and editorial content to our editorial
page editor. I only occasionaly poke into editorail when there is a question
about an issue. I generally don't read the editorail page or letters to the
editor until after the paper is printed, in part because I don't want
other's opinions to possibly bias my reporting, especially on hot button
issues.
As I see it, there's not a whole lot than can be done about political
advertising. All sides engage in negative attack ads to try to play on
voters' fears (gut reaction). This is nothing new, take a look back at the
1800's and you'll see some real mudslinging.
If we could trust candidates to stand by the words they utter during
campaign season, we wouldn't have to hash out other methods of trying to
decide who to vote for. The best bet is the old adage "Buyer beware"
My only experience with campaigning (Other than stumping for Hart way back
when) was one term as a student senator in college.
All of the other candidates were making all these goofy promises. I said I
wassn't sure what could be done by the senate on many issues, but I was
willing to listen and do what I could.  When asked why I wanted to be a
senator, I answered that I wanted the scholarship and credits that came with
the office. I recieved 98% of the vote. No signs, no goofy slogans. Just
flat out brutal honesty.
I learned a lot about parlimentary procedure, was able to help a few
students and we did accomplish a few things, including choosing the site
where the new college campus would be built.