[Vision2020] MIT's Focus On Mother Earth...

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 12:25:44 PST 2007

Tom et. al.

MIT has SHASS, School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences... Programs in
music, literature, theater, writing...

http://web.mit.edu/shass/undergraduate/programs/majors.shtml

As to the irony of quoting Macbeth off an MIT website... whatever!

But consider this MIT offering, related to the theme of "The Earth is our
mother, and we are all her children..." under "Sustainability @
MIT," covering the subject of our beleaguered biosphere, the MIT
Environmental Film Festival, a week worth of films. It would be great to see
the U of I sponsor such an event, or maybe the Kenworthy?

http://sustainability.mit.edu/Environmental_Film_Festival

http://sustainability.mit.edu/Main_Page

It appears there is quite a focus at MIT on the environmental and energy
crisis our planet is facing:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2006/energy-initiative.html

Hockfield thanked the members of the Energy Research Council (ERC) for
articulating recommendations that will allow MIT, with its unique talents
and capabilities, to address what she called "one of the most urgent
challenges of our time."

"The need for new global supplies of affordable, sustainable energy is
perhaps the single greatest challenge of the 21st century," the report
stated. "Increasing tension between supply and demand is exacerbated by
rapidly escalating energy use in developing countries, security issues
facing current energy systems and global climate change. These converging
factors create an unprecedented scenario requiring a multifaceted approach
to increasingly urgent energy issues."

Ted Moffett