[Vision2020] Democrat Party Civil War

Tony tonytime at clearwire.net
Mon Jan 15 09:19:00 PST 2007

Keely, I'll bet it's colder than a well digger's butt up there - bad enough
down here.  Thank you for your timely and cordial response.

As I have been on this site for barely one year, I hope you will forgive me
for being unaware of your position on abortion as articulated prior to my
arrival.

I was curious as to whether you thought outlawing abortion was morally
justified, not whether it would be easy.  And to be sure, I share your view
that a woman who is young, uneducated as to fetal development, and
understandably frightened, is not guilty of murder for having an abortion.
However, the mature and educated doctor who knows full well the degree of
development and must be aware that he is ending a human life with
premeditation, is by our definition of the term, guilty of murder one.

Democrats who I regard as championing abortion are those for whom there is
NO exception to its complete availability.  Who feel that the human being
growing innocently in its mommy is merely a lump of tissue, devoid of a soul
and undeserving of human rights.  Those who deny the humanity of the yet to
be born in order to rationalize away their nagging guilt over their tragic
position.  If you long for a party that supports a pro-life position from
conception to death, you may want to give the republicans another look.  As
for a measure that would reduce abortions without victimizing woman -
perhaps even empowering them - have you considered adoption?  You confuse me
when you say that you view the democratic party, which has consistently
supported unrestricted abortion, even partial-birth abortion, as more
pro-life than the republicans who support merely a return to pre- Roe,
individual state autonomy.

It seems to me that a belief in the mercy and wisdom of God would lead one
to oppose abortion rather than grudgingly countenance it.  It is also unfair
to presume that those who support human rights for unborn humans are
automatically unconcerned about economic, social, cultural and religious
injustices.  And certainly, a concern for the social rights of woman should
not translate into a position which would enable them to kill their own
offspring, only to suffer emotional pain for the balance of their
regret-laden life.  As for your lack of sensitivity to a man's feeling where
the killing of HIS offspring is concerned, that seems to me to be manifestly
sexist, as though we are brutes who have no feelings and concern for the
children we sire.  Is that the kind of male you have encountered in your
life?  If so, know that there are those of us who are every bit as invested
in our children as their mothers are.  Our interest in our children's
welfare is hardly hypothetical.

Thank you again for the opportunity to engage you in thoughtful dialog on
this most important issue.

Best,  -Tony