[Vision2020] The best thing to hit Idaho since Napolean Dynamite ... and more

mark seman baukunst at moscow.com
Mon Jan 15 08:37:34 PST 2007

Blank BSU's Petersen named national coach of the year

FIRST ON KTVB.COM

01:42 PM PST on Friday, January 12, 2007

KTVB

 Petersen humbled by award

      KHOU-TV

      Chris Petersen became the first Boise State coach to win a national
coaching honor by taking home the Paul Bear Bryant award.

      BOISE - Thursday night Chris Petersen became the first Boise State
coach to win a national coaching award by taking home the most prestigious
coaching honor in college football.

      Petersen was named the Paul "Bear" Bryant National Coach of the Year
in Houston Thursday night. The honor is voted on by the National
Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association of America.

      It is the most prestigious coaching award in college football dating
back to 1957 with Ohio State’s Woody Hayes being the first recipient.

      Other winners include a who's who of college greats including Joe
Paterno, Bo Schembechler, Lou Holtz and BYU's Lavell Edwards just to name a
few. Last year's recipient was Mac Brown of Texas.

      Petersen led Boise state to a perfect 13-0 record and a Fiesta Bowl
upset over Oklahoma in his first season with the Broncos.

*******************

Napoleon Dynamite
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
      Napoleon Dynamite

      Directed by Jared Hess
      Produced by Jeremy Coon
      Sean Covel
      Chris Wyatt
      Written by Jared Hess
      Jerusha Hess
      Starring Jon Heder
      Efren Ramirez
      Tina Majorino
      Aaron Ruell
      Jon Gries
      Music by John Swihart
      Distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures (USA, Italy, Japan, Korea,
Spain, Brazil)
      Paramount Pictures (all other areas, through United International
Pictures)
      Release date(s) June 11, 2004
      Running time 92 min.
      Language English
      Budget $400,000
      IMDb profile

Napoleon Dynamite is the feature film debut of director Jared Hess, based on
his earlier short film, Peluca. Napoleon was filmed in the summer of 2003 in
and around Preston, Idaho.

It made its debut at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2004 and was
released to theaters in June 2004. It won Best Feature Film at the U.S.
Comedy Arts Festival the same year. The film's budget was only $400,000. The
DVD was released on December 21, 2004.

In 2005, it won 3 MTV Movie Awards, for Breakthrough Male Performance, Best
Musical Performance, and Best Movie. This film is number 14 on Bravo's "100
Funniest Movies."

On May 16, 2006, Fox released a special collector's edition of the film in
collectible packaging in Region 1 (Paramount holds the rights in most
countries outside of the US and Canada).

*  *  *  *  * *  *  *  *  *
Southern comfort reality vs Northern Exposure TV.  Maybe it can be
Internet-based and anyone interested in bringing a little more positive
community development whether north or south can meet me in Phoenix on
1/19/07.  2630 Camelback Road (Embassy Suites, Biltmore) @ 6-8p.  Please
rsvp at www.uirsvp.com for the UI College of Art & Architecture Reception.

I have hesitancy to mention this given other recent turn of events:
No new developments in search for Moscow
city council member

Moscow, ID Councilman suspected of fatal fall off bridge

08:07 AM PST on Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Associated Press

MOSCOW, Idaho -- Oregon State Police officials say it is unlikely Moscow
City Councilman John Dickinson survived a fall off the bridge spanning the
mouth of the John Day River.

KREM.com

Moscow, ID Council President John Dickinson

The 62-year-old is believed to have jumped off the bridge to avoid being
struck by a vehicle as he was assisting a motorist on Interstate 84 in
Oregon Sunday night.

Oregon State Police say the fall alone would be a significant impact, most
likely knocking a person unconscious.

Dive teams were called in Monday, but could not be deployed because of the
deep and turbulent water.

While officials are holding out hope, Oregon State Police say the search is
now a recovery operation.

and

A Tragic Loss
Moscow City Councilman John Dickinson Missing, Presumed Dead

By Joan Opyr, 1-10-07

Moscow City Councilman John Dickinson is missing, presumed dead, after an
accident that occurred Sunday night on Interstate 84 in Oregon. Councilman
Dickinson, 62, had stopped his car to assist another motorist when a third
car crashed into the scene. Dickinson either fell or jumped from the bridge
over the John Day River where it meets the Columbia. The waters at this
intersection are swift and cold, and the drop from the bridge is some thirty
feet. It is unlikely that Dickinson could have survived the fall or the
40-degree water temperatures. What began as a rescue effort was, by Monday
afternoon, being described as a recovery.

John Dickinson was a friend and a political ally. He was a retired
University of Idaho Professor and the founder of Sirius Idaho Theatre. John
was a strong advocate for smart growth, the environment, and the people of
Moscow. I will miss him personally. The community will miss him even more.
We have a lost a compassionate and caring man, and an important and
outspoken voice for justice and equity in Idaho.

Like this story? Get more! Sign up for our free newsletters.

By Joan Opyr, 1-10-07 | add comment | email story | print story
[+ My Yahoo] | [+ My Google] | [+ del.icio.us] | [+ DiggIt!]

 + + +++ + +++ + +
I remember John mostly from playing summer Parks & Rec Co-ed softball in
Pullman & Moscow.  Over a decade (I think 15 years) of Summer & Fall
weather, outdoor fun and good people.
I wish all his family & friends well in these days of worry&sorrow.
+ ++ + + + + + ++ +
(I would like to propose a local "movement" - an art "installation"- of
emails for the City of Moscow.  Upon an official word of either his survival
or his death, People email the Idahonian (not all at once - take time to
compose! & don't crash their server!) a posting, a tribute, a personal
narrative of John's impression upon them.  I ask of the Moscow Daily News,
to install a virtual Healing Place if he is found injured, or a mausoleum
[including architectural detailing] if he is found deceased, on a website.
I also ask that the Moscow Chamber of Commerce help coordinate the
strategies to accomplish this effort with the assistance of the City of
Moscow along with other local institutions and organizations.  This
continuance, a virtual library & part of the history of Moscow, is dedicated
to Him.  I will soon be mailing [regular] my contribution to the Moscow
Chamber, for the John Dickinson Philanthropic Fund for Sustainability.  If
the Foundation never establishes, my contribution can go to the Chambers'
choosing.)

http://www.johndickinson.org/index.htm

In eulogy: "He will live-on in virtual cyberspace, in the memory of our own
minds, and in the ether." mark r. seman
Peace out.

mark

mark r. seman, architect