[Vision2020] Why I didn't vote for Brady

Bill London london at moscow.com
Sun Jan 14 17:41:00 PST 2007

I think this discussion about the criteria of candidate selection is really fascinating, especially since we have witnessed the election of so many candidates who do not represent the best interests of their constituents.  These candidates have been chosen on some basis other than rationality.

On that subject, I suggest the book "Applegate's America" (at the Moscow Library), written by 3 experts in PR, including one who worked for Clinton in 1996 and one who worked for Bush in 2004.

The core of the Bush election analysis was that the Bush campaign was able to convince independent and former Democratic voters to ignore the rational arguments for electing Kerry (these voters were against the war, did not want laws against abortion, etc) and go with what the authors called their "gut reaction."  Similar to Kai's "gut instinct."

The Bush campaign was able to create an image that mirrors what Kai describes as his feelings about Brady/Otter.  The image was that Bush was a strong leader, that you might not like what he was doing but you trusted him to lead -- and that therefore Bush will keep you safe.

The good news is that in Idaho, voters can actually interact with candidates and watch how the candidate works a room.  What I would say to that is that the personal qualities of politicians working a crowd may not reflect the quality of their potential as leaders.
BL