[Vision2020] Fw: Selling Latah Health Services

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sat Jan 13 09:19:56 PST 2007

On Latah Health Services, FYI:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kate Mecham" <kmecham at latah.id.us>
To: "'Art Deco'" <deco at moscow.com>
Cc: <bocc at latah.id.us>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 2:06 PM
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] Selling Latah Health Services

The County Commissioners asked that I respond to your January 5th inquiry
regarding Gritman Medical Center's proposal to acquire the Latah Health
Services property.  By way of background, it may be helpful to briefly
review the applicable statutes.

Under Idaho Code § 31-3515, property such as the LHS premises can only be
sold with the approval of the voters.  The normal County procedure of
auctioning property under Idaho Code § 31-808 specifically does not apply to
this type of property.  The only exception to the requirement of a public
vote for lease or sale of LHS-type property is found in Idaho Code §
31-3515A.  That statute allows a County to lease or sell property such as
this to a qualified non-profit corporation for use as a non-profit hospital.
It is this statute that creates the so called "reversionary clause" which
requires that the property continue to be used as a non-profit hospital and,
if that use ceases, the property reverts to County ownership.

Gritman Medical Center, based on information we have been provided, would
qualify as a non-profit corporation to acquire the hospital under Idaho Code
§ 31-3515A.  However, they have indicated that they are not willing to
acquire the property subject to the restriction of the reversionary clause
requiring that it continue to be used as a non-profit hospital.
Consequently, the only way this sale can occur is with the approval of a
majority of the voters at the upcoming February election.

Attached is a copy of the language that will appear on the ballot on
February 6.  As you can see, the ballot clearly states that if the voters
approve this sale, the property will be transferred to Gritman Medical
Center without any restrictions whatsoever.  Consequently, the short answer
to your inquiry is that there will be no contractual or otherwise legally
binding restriction on the use of the property.  If the sale is approved,
Gritman would be able to do anything it wants with the property at any point
in time without recourse by Latah County or its citizens.

Thank you for your inquiry.  The County Commissioners believe that the
voting public needs to be as fully informed as possible when it goes to the
polls on February 6, and they trust that the voters will make an intelligent
decision on the disposition of their property.

William W. Thompson, Jr.
Latah County Prosecuting Attorney