[Vision2020] Selling Latah Health Services

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Fri Jan 12 23:26:24 PST 2007

B.J. ,  The two Nursing homes in Spokane became interested because I called
them and I have/had family members in both.   Both are privates and are
very committed to their communities.  Both would commit to our community if
they came and this certainly is not a profit move on their parts. The
industry is simply not profitable for a variety of reasons.  I am for
Gritman assuming ownership if nothing comes of the inquiry.  Gritman is a
great asset, yet Gritman is not in/ nor should be in the long care
business.  It is my understanding that when they talked to you, that
Gritman wanted to be in control over the structure of what would
happen.  Is this correct or did they misunderstand what you were
saying?   It seems and hopefully that I am wrong that an unwelcoming
picture was painted from the call I took from one of the CEO's after their
converations. I have been out of town and have not followed up with the
CEO's.  I know that they contacted the commissioners. I will contact the
homes and report back.

I have little problem with an out of area entity that committs to running a
nursing home and keeping the therapy pool open.  Again, what I am very
concerned about is the loss of local skilled nursing. As for profits being
siphoned off to Spokane by these nursing homes, I find this argument as a
slightly bad faith argument since Gritman will not be filling nursing home
community need. Most likely, any entity would incorporate in Idaho and
would operate similar to Good Sam. Both homes were sensitive to community
reactions if they tore down and replaced the old section (which I found to
be of good faith).  Both facilities would not be exclusively dedicated to
indigent care.  LHS certainly was not and I could not run my practice on
medicaid rates.     Whether Gritman or some other entity takes possession,
a substantial amount of effort and capital will need to be invested.  I am
truly thankful that Gritman stepped up to the plate by keeping the pool
operating and willing to make something of the facility for the community's
benefit.

The basic questions: If there are entities that can be found that will
fulfill the nursing home end and keep the pool open should the public have
the opportunity to choose?   Do you think more options should be pursued
such as dual ownership?   What is the solution for skilled nursing for our
county? Do you think the existing vote time line is in the best interest of
our community?  Best, Jerry