[Vision2020] UI Computer Thefts

Jennifer McFarland jmcfarland at latah.id.us
Fri Jan 12 10:48:40 PST 2007

A copy of this announcement is also being placed on the Sheriff's Office
website at www.latah.id.us/sheriff/

Public Service Announcement

Computer Thefts at the University of Idaho

Dear Friends,

            As you are all likely aware, the University of Idaho released
information this week regarding a theft of three University of Idaho
computers that were taken from campus sometime during the Thanksgiving
recess. The university promptly alerted the Moscow Police Department (MPD)
to the theft and an investigation ensued. During the week of December 11,
2006, the case was turned over to the Latah County Sheriff's Office (LCSO)
so as to limit the perception of a conflict of interest between the
University of Idaho and their contractual law enforcement agency, MPD.  The
Latah County Prosecutor's Office, the law enforcement agencies and the
university agreed that it was in the best interest of the case and to
protect individual information to delay a public release of the theft while
an initial investigation ensued. The Prosecutor's office notified the
University last week (January 5, 2006) that a release of the information to
the general public was appropriate.

            Although we have had no indication that any information
contained on the computers has been accessed, we encourage you to take the
same precautions with your personal information that we always have:

*     Monitor your Social Security statement (learn how to do this and how
to report any perceived errors at  www.ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html)

*     Monitor your personal credit report using any of these three entities
(Equifax: 1-800-525-6285 or www.equifax.com, Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN
(397-3742) or www.experian.com, TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289 or
www.transunion.com)

*     Report any peculiarities or problems to your local law enforcement
agency or to the Latah County Sheriff's Office (208-882-2216 or
jmcfarland at latah.id.us)

We assure you that your Latah County Sheriff's detectives are working
diligently on this case. If you have any questions or concerns, do not
hesitate to contact us at (208) 882-2216 or by email at
jmcfarland at latah.id.us. Thank you for your concern.

Sincerely,

Det. Jennifer L. McFarland

Public Information Officer

Det. Jennifer L. McFarland
Latah County Sheriff's Office
Public Information Officer
PO Box 8068
Moscow, Idaho 83843
(208) 882-2216
Fax (208) 883-2281
 <http://www.latah.id.us/Dept/Sheriff_Main.htm>
http://www.latah.id.us/Dept/Sheriff_Main.htm

Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.
***Ralph Waldo Emerson