[Vision2020] Selling Latah Health Services

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Fri Jan 12 10:05:55 PST 2007

Here's my thoughts on the proposal to sell Latah Health Services to
Gritman and/or drop the reversionary clause.

For at least ten years, a series of County Commissioners--acting on
behalf of we-the-taxpayers--have failed to provide enough funding to
maintain the buildings. Based on my visits to the facility during the
last few years, it has now moldered to a point where it soon will be
uninhabitable. It will take a massive infusion of money to bring the
facilities up to code for use as a living facility. I wouldn't be
surprised if the estimated million dollars is not enough to do that.

Are we-the-taxpayers of Latah County willing to add how-ever-many
dollars to our property taxes in order to raise a million or more to
save the structure?

For how-ever-many years, the state legislature--acting on behalf of
we-the-taxpayers--has failed to fund Medicaid well enough to cover
the cost of keeping someone in an assisted living facility. If the
facility is going to survive, it must make up the difference by
bringing in paying customers or finding some other source of revenue.
The most reliable source would be the Latah County taxpayer's pocket.

Are we-the-taxpayers of Latah County willing to add how-ever-many
dollars to our property taxes in order to help pay the bills of
people who are unable to do it themselves?  As individuals, how much
would you be willing to pay to live in one drafty, asbestos
contaminated room with a shared bathroom down the hall? Would you be
willing to pitch in enough extra to cover the shortfall from the
Medicaid person next door?

We-the-taxpayers of Latah County have not been willing to dig into
our pockets to adequately fund LHS's operations.  Will that change if
we-the-taxpayers vote down the proposed string-free sale to Gritman?

Suppose we sell LHS to Gritman or someone else and keep the
revisionary clause. What are we-the-taxpayers going to do if we get
it back?

Unfortunately, I think LHS as we know it is gone. I can't  see we-the-
taxpayers of Latah County reversing course 180-degrees and taxing
themselves enough to meet LHS's needs. So, the question is what do we
do?

Do we board it up and let it decay into dust?

Do we sell it to someone who hopefully has the will and resources to
keep it alive as some sort of public health facility?

Do we sell it to a private sector developer?

Personally, I think selling to Gritman without the reversionary
clause is a gamble. They may not be able to make it work. They might
put a million into the property then sell it. But, I think Gritman is
our best bet for keeping the facility as a place for health care and
in local hands.

Kit Craine