[Vision2020] Theft at UI

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 11 23:41:20 PST 2007

KREM.com reports:

MOSCOW, Idaho -- Three desktop computers have disappeared from the
University of Idaho’s Advancement Services office – and now school officials
say the personal data of alumni, donors, employees and students may be in
danger.

Three desktop computers were recently stolen from the University of Idaho.

UI says someone stole the computers – and an internal investigation shows
that as many as 70,000 social security numbers, names and addresses may be
stored on the hard drives.

There is currently no evidence any of the data has been misused. The
computers are still missing.

The school says it will notify more than 331,000 people who may have been
exposed – with those people living in the state of Idaho receiving an
e-mail, and out-of-state folks will receive notice by US Mail.

“We deeply regret this incident and the worry and inconvenience it may
cause, but we want to assure donors, alumni, students and employees that the
University of Idaho is strengthening its processes for securing and storing
our sensitive data,” University President Tim White said in a prepared
statement.

The computers went missing over the Thanksgiving weekend – and school
officials notified Moscow police, who forwarded the case on to the Latah
County Sheriff’s Office.  Law enforcement officials asked the school to
delay notifying those potentially affected.

      Univ. of Idaho's special ID theft website

ID theft hotline: (866) 351-1860

J  :]