[Vision2020] Living in Idaho

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Tue Jan 9 08:16:28 PST 2007

When I visited Mexico for the first time, during the Xmas season of
1968, imagine my surprise to see this headline in Excelsior, the
largest newspaper in Mexico City: "-40 grados en Moscu, Idaho!" (-40
is the same in both Celsius and Fahrenheit). When I returned home I
heard it had been even colder in Troy and Deary.

When I lived in Edmonton, Alberta, before coming to Moscow, I
remember reading in the newspaper that during the usual two-week cold
snap in January, when the temperature went below -20F, they would
open the windows and vents of the grain elevators to freeze any
insects that might be lurking. That saved the bother and expense of
fumigation.

One winter I tried growing some parsley in a flower pot in my
apartment. Unfortunately, some plant lice, that came with some cut
flowers, got onto it. So one night, when it was 30 below outside, I
plucked a sprig of lice-covered parsley and poked it outside the back
door for just a few seconds. When I pulled it back inside, the whole
thing disintegrated into dust. Both lice and parsley had become
instantly freeze-dried. That fixed them.

Ralph

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 21:51:09 PST 2007

Hey, how's this for making you feel good about living in Idaho:

Fairbanks, Alaska is ***minus 40*** degrees, with ice crystals, right
now!
with a high expected tomorrow of ***minus 25*** degrees, a "warm up" of
***11*** expected by Thursday!

Jeez, but that's cold!

J  :]