[Vision2020] lawyers

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Jan 8 21:35:23 PST 2007

I'm getting tired of all of the lawyer-bashing here.

Yeah, sometimes bad lawyers do reprehensible things.  Welcome to a fallen
world; there isn't a profession in it whose practitioners are all pure and
free from temptations of greed and power.  But I'm astonished at how easily
people who enjoy freedom and a secure social order blast an entire
profession whose efforts safeguard what they hold dear, and then presume to
run to them when their rights are trampled on.  We all benefit from  the
highest ideals of the law, and most of us have not suffered directly from
the bad behavior of some in the profession.  On the contrary.  We're better
off because of law  and the lawyers who study, administer, and guide us
through it.

It occurs to me that it is the provence of the secure and relatively
affluent -- I might say "privileged" -- to malign lawyers.  Try seeing
through the eyes of the disenfranchised, the victimized, the poor, and the
voiceless, for whom the long arm of a vicious society constantly reaches.
In Spanish, the word for lawyer, "abogado," is similar to "advocate."  In my
work with Mexican immigrants, I saw many examples of injustice, and I saw a
few times when righteousness and justice were accomplished through lawyers
-- advocates for those without one.  I thank God for those women and men who
safeguard the freedoms of both the most privileged and the least of those
among us.  Respect for the professions compels me to lament the bad ones,
but it also requires that I extend my gratitude to the good ones who I know
are the majority.

keely