[Vision2020] new topic: games

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 16:07:22 PST 2007

On 1/7/07, keely emerinemix <kjajmix1 at msn.com> wrote:

> So, my New Year's Family Board Game recommendations are:

> 5.  Yahtzee

Yahtzee?!?  That isn't a game, but a form of torture invented by
masochists to make sadists feel less dirty about their predilection.

>  Any other recommendations from the Visionaires in my life?

Yes.  My favorite "dreary, sloppy winter's day" game is Boticelli, the
instructions which can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botticelli_%28game%29#Games_similar_to_Botticelli

Actually, Boticelli is my favorite game, period (non-computer-related, that is).

I would also highly recommend any Inform games (similar to Zork text
adventures) which are great fun to play in groups.  First. download
Winfrotz, which is the "player engine."  Then download the individual
games, which you load into Winfrotz to play.

Winfrotz is here:

http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/infocom/interpreters/frotz/WindowsFrotzInstaller.exe

One of the better games, Slouching Towards Bedlam, is available here:

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/competition2003/zcode/slouch/slouch.z5

You can play most of the games entirely on-line.  For example,
Anchorhead is playable here:

http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.phpz?cat=&game=231&mode=html

Or, So Far:

http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.phpz?cat=37&game=228&mode=html

Or, Varicella:

http://www.ifiction.org/games/play.phpz?cat=40&game=234&mode=html

I bought my first computer many many years ago for games of this
nature, and they are still my preference.

Chas