[Vision2020] Bush Claims Right to Open Private Mail

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 08:27:43 PST 2007

Signing statements need to be outlawed.  The arrogance of this procedure
(and I'm aware it's not just our current President who has abused this)
is extreme.

We have to find some way, as a people, to get back the many civil rights
that we have lost over the last decade or so.  I don't know how to do
it, but I know it needs to be done.

My only hope is that this particular event will spur people to work on
simple encryption solutions for email.  I've used GPG (Gnu Privacy
Guard, I think).  The only problem is that everyone has to get on board
for it to work well.  Before anyone jumps on me with the old "if you're
not doing anything wrong, there is no need to hide" line - it's abuse of
this procedure by ordinary humans that worries me.  Corporations buying
info on competitors, people in charge reading every email they can find
with no restrictions, or the government keeping tabs on people who have
done absolutely nothing wrong but who are swapping emails that express
opinions that disagree with the government on some level.

Paul