[Vision2020] Down on the War

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jan 3 12:58:43 PST 2007

>From the Commission on Presidential Debates' transcripts of the September
30, 2004 presidential debate at:

http://www.debates.org/pages/trans2004a.html

LEHRER: Mr. President, new question. Two minutes. Does the Iraq experience
make it more likely or less likely that you would take the United States
into another preemptive military action?

BUSH: I would hope I never have to. I understand how hard it is to commit
troops. Never wanted to commit troops. When I was running -- when we had the
debate in 2000, never dreamt I'd be doing that.

But the enemy attacked us, Jim, and I have a solemn duty to protect the
American people, to do everything I can to protect us.

I think that by speaking clearly and doing what we say and not sending mixed
messages, it is less likely we'll ever have to use troops.

But a president must always be willing to use troops. It must -- as a last
resort.

I was hopeful diplomacy would work in Iraq. It was falling apart. There was
no doubt in my mind that Saddam Hussein was hoping that the world would turn
a blind eye.

And if he had been in power, in other words, if we would have said, "Let the
inspectors work, or let's, you know, hope to talk him out. Maybe an 18th
resolution would work," he would have been stronger and tougher, and the
world would have been a lot worse off. There's just no doubt in my mind we
would rue the day, had Saddam Hussein been in power.

So we use diplomacy every chance we get, believe me. And I would hope to
never have to use force.

But by speaking clearly and sending messages that we mean what we say, we've
affected the world in a positive way.

Look at Libya. Libya was a threat. Libya is now peacefully dismantling its
weapons programs.

Libya understood that America and others will enforce doctrine and that the
world is better for it.

So to answer your question, I would hope we never have to. I think by acting
firmly and decisively, it will mean it is less likely we have to use force.

Seeya round town, Moscow.