[Vision2020] The People We Have Yet to Liberate

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 3 12:18:00 PST 2007

Greetings:

If the only reason we invaded Iraq was to liberate an oppressed people, then Bush is delinquent in the stated goals of his 2005 Inaugral Address.

As a proportion of population, the Chinese government has killed far more Tibetans than Saddam killed, but Walmart, if taken as a sovereign state, would be China's tenth largest trading partner.  The Chinese government also harvests body parts from the Falun Gong, whose only crime is that their religion is not registered with the government.

We always pick on countries that we can whip easily, at least we think so.  Why don't we liberate a people that could give us a really fair conventional fight?  1.2 billion Chinese is a far greater prize than 24 million Iraqis.

Even though the GOP bought campaign T-shirts from Burmese sweat shops, the military dictatorship still oppresses its people and keeps the democratically elected leader under house arrest.

Dozens of dictators oppress their people in Africa, but Bush does not lift a finger.

The Bush administration supports several dictators in Central Asia who consistently oppress their people.  But Iraq and Afghanistan have to be democracies at all costs.

The greatest single cost in the Iraq war is actually getting our troops there.  Why not liberate the 12 million Cubans, only 90 miles from Florida?  Our troops could go home to their families for weekends.

The list could continue (my sarcasm, too), but I believe that I've made my point about this administration's hypocrisy.

One final reminder: no matter how one counts the Iraqi causalities we've been responsible for far more Iraqi deaths than Hussein.

Nick Gier