[Vision2020] Fw: (Fwd) Orphan Acres needs some help

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Jan 2 13:43:11 PST 2007

From: Anita Falen afalen at uidaho.edu
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:16:10 -0800
To: lfalen at turbonet.com
Subject: (Fwd) Orphan Acres needs some help

Date sent:      	Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:57:25 -0700
From:           	Bud Sherrets <idahorse at juno.com>
Subject:        	Orphan Acres needs some help
To:             	afalen at uidaho.edu, alasyaw at aol.com, allaroundequine at cableone.net,
	JLKEnterpriz at aol.com, jsoburg at msn.com, kranchllc at aol.com,
	laurelyo at cableone.net, MAFDentistry at aol.com, margaret at impactrealestate.com,
	miloerekson at hotmail.com, minifarmer at sprintmail.com, oldwestam at aol.com,
	orphanacres at hotmail.com, register at AmericanAppendix.com, requirk at gmail.com,
	russnola at yahoo.com, srider at salmoninternet.com, tomnoll at homeinternet.net,
	Symiller at sscwaste.com, terriedvy at aol.com, MVTSjerome at aol.com,
	tvholstein at juno.com, vellis at integrity.com

Merry Christmas to all.

Brent Glover (has been an Idaho Horse Council member for many years) has
been rescueing horses for many years and is facing an emergency
situation.  His email address is orphanacres at hotmail.com

Marry Christmas Bud ---and the best to you for the new year.

We have an emergency situation.  Our source of hay advised us that he has

lost the 150 tons of hay he was storing for us last month. This is going
leave us short as we go through around 250
tons of hay a year.  Therefore, we are going to have to find and purchase

more hay at a higher price, as we do not have sufficient hay to last
through
the coming winter.  Due to the poor yield of hay in this area this year,
there is a shortage of hay and it is selling at premium prices of $120 to

$175 a ton, twice what we had paid to start with.

At the present time we have 68 horses in our care.  This number changes
continually as we are asked to accept additional rescue horses, as
adoption
homes are found for the horses and/or as some of the older horses pass
away.
  We have already had to turn away several horses due to the loss of the
150
tons being stored for us.  We are going to have to continue purchasing
hay
as we can locate it throughout the winter.

We have already applied to the Idaho Horse Board for some help in this
situation and did not know if the Council or any of its members could
help.

Orphan Acres, Inc. Idaho #C143177 and has been in operation since 1975
and
is a 501(c)(3) EIN#75-3046514, DLN #17053-004-01304-5. We works in
conjunction with the State of Idaho Brand Inspector, Idaho Fish and Game,

and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. We operate as a rescue and
educational facility as well as a haven for abused and neglected horses
and
have worked with numerous State agencies in this capacity and as a
sanctuary
for injured wildlife that have been placed in our care.

In that time we have had several hundred volunteers who have come from
the
U.of I., WSU. 4H, FFA, Church and community groups to learn all aspects
of
animal care and well-being. They have had the opportunity to worked with
over 1,400 horses and a wide variety of wildlife that have been rescued
and
brought back to health.  Most of the horses are adopted out to qualified
homes while others are kept here to live out their days.

Orphan Acres is a one hundred percent volunteer organization which, in
the
past three years, has averaged over 20,000 hours of volunteer help per
year
by individuals interested in the care and rehabilitation of the animals
sent
to us. these individuals want to learn through hands-on work with the
animals themselves as well as assisting in the maintenance of the
facility.
So 100% of all donations go to the care of the animals.

Any donations at this time would benefit Orphan Acres in offsetting the
above mentioned costs for purchasing hay and would be greatly
appreciated.
The funds would help in the care of the horses and, in the long run,
would
help support our educational programs.

I am writing this letter to ask for any help in support of our needs at
this
time.

Thank you for any help you can send our way

We Care

Brent Glover

Orphan Acres Inc.