[Vision2020] Reactions To Hanging

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 1 12:39:40 PST 2007

I'm with Paul on this.

I really want to believe that it's more than self-interest that leads me to
believe it's hard to have a fair trial when your lawyers keep getting
killed.

I'm glad Andreas points out the other problems with the trial.

I find it interesting that he was put to death for executions in which the
dead received 'trials' of some sort, rather than for the massacre of the
Kurds, many of whom died by poison gas.  He should have been given a fair
trial for these crimes against humanity.

Here's a link to Robert Fisk's article about the execution:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/123006Z.shtml

I think Fisk is one of the best reporters on the Middle East, and has
reported and correctly predicted what will happen next in Iraq since before
the war started.

This execution is just one more sad chapter in this terrible invasion and
war.  Not sad because Hussein was innocent; he was a butcher and a murderer.
  Sad because it is farcical (sp?) given our historical support of him, and
the blind eye we turned to so many of his crimes.  Sad because we somehow
want to pretend it will make anything better in Iraq.  Sad because it won't,
and we can't see our way out of this hell we created when it never had to
happen.

Sunil