[Vision2020] : working from home

Megan Prusynski megan at meganpru.com
Wed Feb 28 14:25:09 PST 2007

I'll agree, working from home can be challenging and you have to have
a lot of discipline. Small distractions arise a lot, but really
aren't much of a problem for someone like me who is quite used to
multi-tasking. I also don't have kids, so that makes a huge
difference. The pets don't require much supervision other than just
letting the dog out to go to the bathroom and giving them some
attention once in a while. It really helps to have a certain room of
the house as a dedicated office (this helps for tax deductions as
well) so I can shut the door and really focus. In that regard, it's
probably less distracting than an office full of chatty co-workers!

When I was in school I was a nanny for a designer who worked at home.
I would come over to interact with her little one and give him the
attention he needed so she could get her work done. Having a
babysitter who is there while you're working would be an option for a
work-at-home parent, and may be a little cheaper than day care.

Working at home is not for everyone, but I sure love it! :) It can
get lonely at times, but that's why I interact with others online. I
learn a great deal from fellow designers on a design forum I
frequent, and it gives me someone to talk to, although virtually,
while I'm waiting for files to upload or for Photoshop to open. I
also talk to all my co-workers on IM and on the phone. I have to be
sure to get out on evenings and weekends once in a while or I feel
like I'm trapped in this house, though. I sure don't mind having no
commute (unless you call walking from the bedroom to the office a
commute - lol) and for me at least, the benefits far outweigh the
disadvantages. It really depends on the person and the job, it works
out well for me since I do design, which is all digital anyway, and
I'm pretty self-motivated, organized, and focused (well, when I want
to be).

Just a little perspective from someone who works at home. Speaking of
which, I gotta get back to work, my files are done uploading! :)

peace,
~megan