[Vision2020] Panel Rejects Day-Care Rules

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Feb 28 13:19:17 PST 2007

Briefly:

When I attended the University of Minnesota more than four decades ago, this is how many multi-section (both upper and lower division) classes were taught:

An instructor was chosen to teach the class based on their ability to teach effectively.  That instructor taught one class live at the earliest section.  The different sections of the class that occurred at the same time were captured and taught via live TV feed to regular classrooms.  The sections later in the day were taught via videotape in regular classrooms.  The TVs were B/W 21" sets.

Many the lecture portions of math, language, science classes were taught this way.  It would not be unusual for a class to have 30 sections of 30 - 40 students each.  UM at that time had 42,000 students.  Access to off-section time with the instructor or TAs was provided for those needing out-of-class assistance.

There were two main reasons for this approach.

1.    It saved a lot of money, something a large university can always use.

2.    By choosing the best instructors, a high quality of instruction was achieved.

I am told that a large number of universities now do this.

Of course, this approach would not work for all classes, but there are many that it did work well.

In addition, I took a graduate course from an instructor who had great mobility problems.  We met at his house.  His house was a ways from campus and though it was a reasonable accommodation for a very talented disabled person, it did present problems for students, many of whom were poor and had no means of transportation except legs.

With present technology (cheap video cams, interactive intranet and internet connections) there is no reason that some or perhaps many of UI or WSU classes could be taught by instructors from their homes.  Students could also access the lectures via streaming video at times best for them.  Of course, instructors need to provide in-person access and do other activities where their presence would be required on campus at times.

I understand some other universities are doing just this.  In addition to streaming video, the classes are made available as video Podcasts.

In well designed business systems, accounts receivable and payable as well as a lot of general ledger work can be done by telecommuting as well as design work, production scheduling, etc.

In the early 1970s, I was once disabled for two months while working for a computer service branch of a large company.  By using the telephone and with the aid of a old, slow 30 cps terminal and an acoustic coupler, I was able to do a large part my normal job duties from house where I lived.

Working at home demands a great deal of discipline not only to get the work done, but to avoid having the work over take one's life.  It can be done.  And we can learn to do it well, when motivated.

W.