[Vision2020] Panel Rejects Day-Care Rules

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Wed Feb 28 12:35:50 PST 2007

I just want to add a couple of comments that Tom kind of touches on . . .

I think when we discuss the benefits of at-home jobs, there's a tendency to
think more about jobs that tend to be more -- for lack of a better word --
professional/technical telecommuting kinds of things.

However, there are HUGE groups of at-home workers who *don't* fit into that
picture of at-home workers.  As Tom mentions, at-home child care providers
are part of that.  If any of you know folks who provide this vital service,
you know that's it's not an easy occupation.

And, there are lots of other at-home workers who fall into that category.
As I wrote to another who questioned my comment that at-home work can have a
negative impact on quality of life for workers and their families:

It's been quite awhile since I looked into it, but one of the strong points
made was that many at-home workers tend to have increased job-related stress
because they can never really get away from work when they work from home.
At-home workers, too, tended to work more uncompensated hours -- I believe
that was specific to hourly at-home workers rather than those who were
salaried, but I can't recall the specifics.  There was also a study that
looked at women who do phone jobs from home (calling for charities, customer
service "call centers" and the like), and that work eroded the time
available for families because workers were routinely expected to cover
times they weren't scheduled.  Other problems cited included the isolation
from others, decreased collective problem-solving, decreased successful
collective bargaining on issues such as wages, work hours, job descriptions,
health-care and other benefits, etc.  There's also the illusion that when
one works from home, one doesn't need childcare.  Now, while perhaps that
works for some families (like yours), it definitely isn't true for lots of
at-home workers.  I can speak specifically (although not personally) about
workers who provide telephone customer service from home -- trying to
provide home phone-based customer service while also caring for a
child/children is a recipe for disaster and incredibly stressful for parents
who try to balance work and child-care.

And, of course, there were lots of problems discussed about cost-shifting,
but those issues don't directly relate to the quality of life issues I
mentioned.

I think -- but I'm not sure -- that there is a tendency these days to think
about at-home workers in term of more professional or skilled telecommuters
(look at the brief list Dan Carscallan mentioned) .  What that is a valid
group of at-home workers, it's only one group, and I suspect it's a smaller
group than those who do things like run at-home daycares, do telemarketing
or other phone-based (unskilled) jobs, do sewing, ironing, medical billing
(I've several friends who do that, and what a thankless job and perhaps one
of the worst at eroding family time), etc.

But, as I said, it's been a long time since I spent any time researching the
issues.
_____

I think some at-home jobs can be a really good thing that works well for
those involved.

However, I think we need to use care to not lump all at-home jobs together
and think of them as some sort of panacea.

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****