[Vision2020] Panel Rejects Day-Care Rules

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Feb 28 07:32:11 PST 2007

Continuing Debbie Gray's comment, Tom has raised another issue in addition
to the "Let's keep moms at home by making sure that day care centers are not
required to enforce safety and health rules and where sexual predators are
allowed to roam."  [Much to most V 2020 relief, I won't comment in depth at
present on how this anti-child/family/working poor attitude has its origin
squarely in certain Christian beliefs.]

The second issue is that of not requiring restaurant owners to pay minimum
wages, but to force the servers, etc to live on gifts from customers.

This bit of gross inequity shows how powerful the food and beverage industry
lobby is.

However, such a policy is misdirected.  During the time I was actively
consulting, restaurants were among my clients.  I found, generally speaking,
that paying servers, etc a living wage and not subtracting tips actually
improved the bottom line in the long run.  The higher wages allowed the
restaurant to hire more experienced, better servers who could handle more
tables and whose unfaked, pleasant and engaging demeanor helped to increase
the frequency of return customers and attract by word of mouth new
customers.  On a personal note, once I find that a particular restaurant
subtracts tips from wages, I generally do not patronize it if I have a
reasonable choice.

So the Idaho legislature continues to be anti-family and anti
working/struggling poor.  But the legislature presumably reflects the will
of those that elect them.  It is a huge job to eradicate ignorance and
superstition.

W.