[Vision2020] Sidewalks:

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Sun Feb 25 17:52:10 PST 2007

Time is 4:30 pm. Place is City Council Chambers on the second floor
of city hall.

It is a well established principal that property owners are
responsible for constructing and maintaining sidewalks that cross
their properties. Those who don't are liable for any damages suffered
by pedestrians who are injured (i.e. getting their socks sued off).
While one can argure that it is city property, therefore the city's
responsibility, pedestrian safety then means having to pay taxes to
the city so they can have equipement and people to do the job. That
approach would require changing the laws.

The basic questions are whether icy sidewalks should be acceptable in
Moscow (i.e. if you don't want to bust your ass, get off the sidewalk
vs. property owners fulfilling responsibility under the law) and, if
not, how do we keep them snow & ice free.

I hope people come to both speak and listen to this.

Kit Craine