[Vision2020] Legislative update VIII from Rep. Trail

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 16:19:18 PST 2007

Representative Trail writes;

  "Some legislators have been a bit edgy because of some Norway Water Rats seen
roaming the halls of our supposedly new quarters in the Old Ada County
Courthouse. "

  I don't know who to feel sorry for, the politicians residing with the rats, or the rats residing with the politicians. Who is getting the worse end of that deal?
  Best,

  Donovan

ttrail at moscow.com wrote:
  LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER VIII February 18-23/07

Dear Constituents:

Well, Boise did appear white this week with two days of snow. It
certainly makes skiers and water users happy since the snow pack is only
about 50% of normal. Fortunately, most of the reservoirs are almost full
from last years above average snow pack. Tempers are picking up a bit as
move into the home stretch of the legislature. Committee meetings are
starting earlier, and we spend more time debating a long string of bills.
We are also doing some preliminary packing in getting ready to move
everything out of our offices and out of the Capitol to the Old but now
renovated Ada County Courthouse. Reconstruction on the Capitol will
start almost immediately after we leave here in late March. Some
legislators have been a bit edgy because of some Norway Water Rats seen
roaming the halls of our supposedly new quarters in the Old Ada County
Courthouse. Here are some of this week’s highlights:

1. HB121 -- This bill to ban smoking in bowling alleys passed the House
on a 48-17 vote. The opposition stressed this was a violation of property
rights but those who saw it as a threat to public health prevailed. It
goes on to the Senate.

2. HB172 -- This is legislation sponsored by Representative Ringo and
myself. It would provide victims of domestic violence protection of their
address information. The Secretary of State would become the guardian or
postmaster for victims who qualified under the law and guard their
addresses. Victims would have protection in all local, regional, and
state domains. The legislation is based on Washington State law passed in
1991. Their program covers over 3,000 people and has been very
successful. About 19 other states have adopted this program. The
statutes were drafted by Professor Elizabeth Brandt of the University of
Idaho Law College. A victim of domestic violence who had lived in five
states under assumed names and changing her social security number for 27
years stepped forward to testify. Her ex-husband had died recently and so
came forward to testify about the terror and brutality that she had
suffered. The bill passed out of the House Jud and Rules Committee, but
will have to go back for several amendments.

3. HB184 -- This was the minimum wage bill which raised the minimum wage
to $7.25/hr and follows the U.S. standard (assuming it is passed). I voted
against the bill since it did not include the CPI to adjust for inflation.
Oregon, Montana, and Washington all have the built in adjustor for
inflation and economic studies indicate that it actually stimulates the
economy. In Moscow we have qualified workers who will cross the state
line to Pullman and earn more money at basic skill jobs because the minimum
wage is higher.

4. HB203 -- Rep. Mack Shirley and I will be presenting this bill on
the floor of the House on Monday. This bill is called the Teacher Loan
Forgiveness Bill. Idaho has critical shortages of teachers in the areas of
math, science, special education and a number of other areas. Rural areas
are especially hard hit in trying to attract qualified teachers. The
program would forgive 20% of a student's loan up to $5,000/year for five
years for each year the individual taught in Idaho. Students in Colleges
of Education and currently practicing teachers could qualify for the
program. The initial request is for $500,000 and the program would run
over a 5 year period.

5. HB206 -- The Idaho Opportunity Scholarship Program -- I worked
with the State Board in crafting the legislative proposal. Governor
Otter liked the bill and is proposing that we use $38 million of one time
monies to set up an endowment fund under the Sec. of the Treasury. This
would generate about $2 million/year for scholarship for low and low middle
income students. The bill comes up on the House Ed Committee on Monday
for a vote.

6. HCR9 -- Legislative Congratulations to the University of Idaho's
College of Engineering on its 100 anniversary. This resolution passed
unanimously by both the House and the Senate.

7. A bill that would have slowed drivers by 5 mph on Idaho freeways was
killed in a Senate Committee. Hundreds of e-mails came in from citizens
against the change.

8. College for Immigrants' children -- This legislation was introduced
into the House Education Committee. It is a plan to encourage the children
of illegal immigrants in Idaho to attend college. The bill would allow
undocumented students the same fee rates and state tuition given to state
citizens. Candidates would have to show proof of trying to gain
citizenship and have lived in the state for three years.

That's all for this week. I'd like to hear your comments and questions.
My e-mail is ttrail at house.idaho.gov and phone 208-332-1260.

Representative Tom Trail

http://www.fsr.com/

List services made available by First Step Internet,