[Vision2020] access to potlatch lands

Debbie Gray graylex at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 10:29:47 PST 2007

What do you all think about Potlatch's new access
permits for their forest land? On one hand I think
it's a little sad, especially how these companies
initially gained ownership to these huge tracts of
lands through railroad grants, etc. On the other hand,
I think it's somewhat reasonable and the fee isn't
outrageous compared to the damage that some people can
do (litter, trail destruction, vandalism).

I read in the LMTrib today someone suggested that the
land be reclassified for tax purposes to be recreation
land, not timber land, since recreation land is taxed
at a higher rate. I don't know the facts about that,
maybe someone else does, Mark Solomon perhaps?

Any other thoughts?

debbie gray