[Vision2020] House Passes Bill Linking Tax Cuts, Minimum Wage

Scott Dredge sdredge at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 23:55:27 PST 2007

I'm not wrong about this Pat.  Donors do not receive a deduction on $11,000 gifts to individuals.  The recipients receive this money tax free.  It doesn't matter whether you mark it as a "gift" or not when you're giving it to another individual.

From Motley Fool: http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/1998/taxes980521.htm

Many people are curious about the "gift tax exclusion" and how it really works. Some still believe that a gift is deductible by the person making the gift (the donor), and taxable to the person receiving the gift (the donee). This is absolutely not true. Gifts (not to be confused with charitable contributions, which have their own separate rules) are neither deductible by the donor, nor taxable to the donee.

From: http://www.taxguru.org/estate/706.htm

A big misconception people have is that gifts will reduce their taxable income.  Not true.  Gifts are not deductible on the donor's 1040.  The trade-off is that gifts are not considered to be taxable income to the recipients.

-Scott