[Vision2020] American Fascists

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Wed Feb 14 16:04:38 PST 2007

American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America by
Chris Hedges
Jonathan Cape GBP12.99

The next time you're in Petersburg, Kentucky, I recommend you drop in
on the Creation Museum, which has been built in order to illustrate
the literal truth of the creation as told in the book of Genesis. You
will see tableaux of prehistoric children playing with dinosaurs; a
display of the Garden of Eden with carefully positioned nude Adam and
Eve, also frolicking with dinosaurs; and, perhaps best of all, a
display showing how "a contemporary family experiences daily life
without God". As Chris Hedges describes it: "It portrays a household
in disarray, with fights and teenager drug use." Well, at least
they've got one thing right.

You might think that Petersburg, Kentucky, is a long way away, and
that all this mindless loopiness need not concern us too much, but
after reading this book I'm not so sure. For what happens in America
affects us all, and if Hedges is right, then we have plenty to fear
from politicised evangelical Christians in the US. We should bear in
mind that not only do they believe in the Rapture and that people
once co-existed with dinosaurs (and that, until the Fall,
Tyrannosaurus rex was a vegetarian); they also believe in a fiery
apocalypse and are getting closer and closer to a position in which
they can bring it about.

Hedges, an experienced foreign correspondent and author of War Is a
Force That Gives Us Meaning, a gimlet-eyed look at how our nobler
impulses are corrupted in order to condition us to slaughter, has
looked at the rise of the Christian right and found in it a political
agenda with disastrous implications for the future of liberty in
America.

You may think that the term "American Fascists" is a little
inflammatory. But Hedges does not claim that the Christian right is a
Nazi party, nor that America will inevitably become a fascist state,
as we understand the term. The Christian right is, though, "a sworn
and potent enemy of the open society", which is just about as bad;
and the book is a kind of checklist in which you can tick off their
characteristics against those of their predecessors: implacable
intolerance of others; manipulation of language; paranoia; lying on a
grand scale; exploitation of people's fears; the creation of
leadership cults; hate-mongering; the creation of a state of mind in
which adherents are perpetually at war.

And the language, cited by Hedges, is chilling. Pastor Russell
Johnson, who leads the Ohio Restoration Project and is an unofficial
campaigner for Christian Republican candidates for high office,
stands against an enormous American flag with a cross superimposed on
it, saying: "We're on the beaches of Normandy, and we can see the
pillbox entrenchments of academic and media liberalism . . . We'll
take our country back for Christ."

Hedges is clear about the danger facing America and argues that part
of the responsibility lies with a supine media and a church
establishment too pusillanimous or namby-pamby to point out that you
could hardly call the Christian right Christian in the conventionally
accepted meaning of the term. "Debate with the radical Christian
right is useless. We cannot reach this movement. It does not want a
dialogue. It is a movement based on emotion and cares nothing for
rational thought and discussion. It is not mollified because John
Kerry prays or Jimmy Carter teaches Sunday school . . . This movement
is bent on our destruction."

It might all seem hopeless, but Hedges has written a stirring call to
arms for the friends of tolerance, freedom, human love and
understanding. It is a brave and timely book.

 From The Guardian Weekly (London)