[Vision2020] Fantasy vs. Reality

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Tue Feb 13 21:23:23 PST 2007

Ralph,

If personal experience is any indicator, this change which took place a few
years ago, might have had some unexpected consequences.  I was in a church
which preaches and practices male authority in matters of doctrine,
governance, and church activity.  However, because of the relationships that
had been established in the church the women had considerable "unauthorized"
power.  I personally felt a lot of dissonance, but I also enjoyed, loved,
and appreciated the congregational community, and I was, in turn, loved and
respected.    Then it was decided we would write by-laws--seemed like a good
idea.  I was on the committee as a full fledged voting committee member.
The document we designed really didn't change much.  Over my objections
deacons were defined as male, (not that there were any female deacons)
voting members were those, both male and female, who were 21 or over.  (To
make sure radical college members were disenfranchised. Not that there were
any radical college members.)  And specifically, all positions of authority
in the church beaucracy were defined as positions for male members.  That
limit changed nothing.  No female had ever held a position of authority.  So
in a sense we did what Christ Church did.  We formalized the current
practice.  But for me that was a turning point.  To see in writing those
actions which heretofore had been practice meant I could no longer pretend.
I had grown up in the denominatuion.  All my family belonged. My college
degree was from the premier denominational university.   I had a brother in
law who was a pastor, and a nephew who was an associate minister.  But I
left and have never regretted it.  For myself and my family, there can no
longer be legitimacy where there is no parity.  I did not, and never will,
try to convince anyone else to do what I did.  This is not intended to
persuade anyone to my way of thinking.  And it is rather long.  For that I
apologize.  I will end by repeating my theme.  Sometimes it takes a highly
overt act to convince one to have the courage of their convictions.

Sue Hovey