[Vision2020] Parking Survey Under Way

Philip Cook pcook818 at adelphia.net
Tue Feb 13 10:54:33 PST 2007

Mr. Crabtree,

You are correct that two additional surveys focusing on customers and employees are planned.

I disagree with your and Mr. Deco's assertions that the survey nor the surveyors are objective.

You are correct that the survey is designed to measure perceptions, but it is designed to measure them objectively. The measurement of perceptions of  downtown parking problems is the goal of the survey. The data gathered by this survey and the others, along with engineering data, will help inform the political discussions about management of downtown parking.

Yes, I serve on the Transportation Commission, but I also spent much of my graduate academic training and early career designing, implementing, and reporting the results of surveys. I have observed and participated in the design of this survey and have seen nothing that leads me to the conclusion that it will not be objective. I will let you know if something changes that assessment. Please let me know if you have evidence otherwise, too.

The time where objectivity is always questionable, and indeed impossible, is in the interpretation of (objectively gathered) data and recommendations for changes based on the results. Each of us, regardless of training, political persuasion, etc., brings our own experiences, beliefs, and biases to the table when we interpret results and talk about possible policy alternatives. Questions of what we should do are always political and subjective; science can only inform the discussion about possible outcomes.

Your suggestion about a civil engineering project is illustrative. Engineering data is helpful, but insufficient by itself. Let's say an engineering study concludes that "85% of all car drivers arriving downtown between 9:00am and 10:00am found a vacant parking spot within 150 feet of their desired destination within 30 seconds of beginning their search for a spot." Objective data, yes. But so what? Is the situation good or bad? Do customers find that situation acceptable or not? Do business owners? Are there any management actions the City should take to change the situation? These are all perception-based questions, and the answers about what should be done are subjective and political.

As for myself, I'm looking forward to having at least some objective, systematically-gathered data about downtown parking to inform the community's discussions, rather than relying on a hodge-podge collection of personal anecdotes.

Philip Cook