[Vision2020] Can the women leave? Was kirker Shopping Regs

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 22:16:12 PST 2007

I don't particularly like their system either, at least as I understand
it.  I've heard it described as a case of men and women being
"different" and each having their own strengths and weaknesses and their
own "best" skills in a relationship.  To me, it sounds remarkably
coincidental that this particular system happens to benefit those who
are pushing it.  However, people have lots of ideas that I don't agree with.

I don't have the concerns you do about whether or not the practice is
"biblical".  No more than I do about whether or not it would be
considered good or bad in relation to, say, the Poetic Eddas.  I do have
concerns, the same as you do, about whether the women in the church
realize that they have avenues open to them if they want to escape the
system.  I also hope that the church elders are wise enough not to abuse
their own power in a misguided attempt to keep them there if they want
to leave.  It would be different if they lived in an armed camp, but as
it is they are mixed freely with society.  I don't have any reason to
believe that they simply wouldn't just let them go.  Of course, as you
noted, this may end in a divorce and a custody hearing.

I would hope that the women of the church would gravitate to some other
religion more respectful of a woman's qualities as strengths for all men
and women, not just as strengths that oddly enough seem to be designed
to help only men.  Yet what do you do if you truly believe that the
bible is true and that it heaps that fate upon you?

I believe in the power of choice ahead of most other things.  Even when
it is detrimental to the chooser.  If they are in this with their eyes
wide open, then who am I to take them to task for it?

Paul