[Vision2020] Commentary by Michael Costello of the Lewiston Tribune

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Feb 11 10:20:20 PST 2007

Tom, you are absolutely right on this.  The misuse of statistics, or the
apparent fabrication of statistics, is being used to divide people in a time
when we can least afford division.  Differences, yes; but the ripping apart
of the common bonds that sustain us in community, no.

Of secondary importance is the misuse of statistics to illustrate important
points, only to have advocates lose credibility by being exposed as idiots
or liars.  A recent Christianity Today article properly excoriated some
evangelicals who scream ridiculous statistics and then use them as the basis
for utterly absurd conclusions and, worse, profiteering.  It's wrong to lie,
and it's also not very effective, either.  (An example in the article was a
pastors' group proclaiming that statistics bear out that Christianity would
come to an end within 30 years . . . but, of course, attendance at their
conference would help save the faith from the forces of young people's
indifference.   And the saints all heaved a sigh of relief.  Or just heaved
. . . )

I don't know of anyone who wants the U.S. to "lose" the war in Iraq, but I'm
grateful to be counted among the majority of Americans who no longer, or
never did, support our involvement there.  Perhaps it's time to start asking
what it is the Bush administration wants us to lose by continuing to wage
war.  What a list that would be!

keely